A romantic moment in Porto
Everything is starting to smell of love and heart shaped chocolate boxes as Valentine’s Day approaches. A romantic moment in Porto really should make your list of options for a surprise trip planned to make your loved one happy.
Porto, the “invincible city” on the banks of the Douro River, is a gem of Portugal, an important industrial city and economic hub that the country takes pride in. But for tourists, Porto city, with its beautiful old architecture and winding cobblestone streets, has another important quality: it is very romantic.
Here are 5 things that can render your next Valentine’s Day unforgettable:
1. A boat trip down the Douro River is a must if you want to explore the entire city swayed by the gentle lull of the water waves. A barco rabelo (a traditional boat made of wood) is the ideal conveyance option, adding a new whisk of romanticism.
2. A walk down Porto’s bridges: the city has several, 5 of which are famous. The most famous of them is the Dom Luis I Bridge built by Gustave Eiffel’s student, Theophile Seyring.
3. Take a Porto transfer to Vila Nova de Gaia, where you can sip the amazing sweet Port wine. The cellars here are the main attraction. The city is very beautiful, though quite small. It’s excellent for a day trip and access there is very simple by car. You can also rent a car in Porto if you feel you’d appreciate the freedom more.
4. A visit to the Casa de Musica is another cultural experience you should not miss. The Dutch architect named Rem Koolhaas really outdid himself, building an incredible modern museum house.
5. Ribeira is a neighborhood where you can sample the authentic life of Portugal. There are old buildings with fronts covered in azulejos, winding sunny streets and terraces and romantic restaurants… where you can propose!