5 Tricks to steer clear of the cold and the flu
Dear friends, it’s still winter outside last time I checked and since I have many friends complaining of cold sores or flu infections these days, I thought I’d share with you 5 Tricks to steer clear of the cold and the flu.
There are no universal protective measures to guard us from viral infections (colds being minor ones, and flu being the severe version), but there are a few measures of precaution worth trying during this dangerous season.
First, like we said, it is well to differentiate between the cold and the flu. The symptoms of the cold are usually quite obvious: runny nose, sore throat, coughing and seldom even headaches. These symptoms usually last for a few days and are treated with decongestants and pain relievers.
What happens when symptoms are severe and include vomiting and diarrhea? You should go to the doctor, because these are usually signs of the flu. In the case of the flu, complications can include severe infections and pneumonia and may become life-threatening, especially if not treated. Antibiotics can be of help, but under medical prescription.
To avoid the cold and the flu, here are the 5 Tricks we had promised to disclose:
1. The classic: vitamin C. Everybody knows the best way to protect yourself from viruses and also to fight them if infected is to increase your intake of vitamin C. Lemons, oranges, apples and pomegranates are rich in Vit. C.
2. Echinacea has proved its effects in boosting the immune system and is a good natural option.
3. An… egg a day keeps the doctor away, just like the apple! Rich in protein, the egg must be on your food list.
4. Keep hydrated by drinking water and warm tea.
5. Be sure to stay away from crowds and people who present the usual symptoms and wash your hands as often as possible!